My team and I are in the process of finalizing our magazine's Spring 2017 Issue, which launches on April 25. While I realizes that this falls outside the realm of Aries Season, I've been thinking a lot about our theme (Artistic Expression) in preparation.
I wrote rather extensively on the topic for my Editor's Letter and my final Culture Section print article, so I won't say too much now. But here are some of the pieces I've been considering that surround this theme and this season.
- My number one lady love, Halsey, is prepping to release her sophomore album and I am super amped about it. Knowing H, she didn't just write and produce an album. She will immerse us in a creative, involved, cavernous experience. BADLANDS reminded me that art can provide the coherence that's often missing in modern life. This self-conscious artistic production—the emphasis on individual perception and meaning-making—is the reason I fell in love with music in the first place.
- This exchange between Martha Graham and Agnes de Mille, remembered by the latter:
- When it happens slowly it's called 'growth' but when it happens quickly it's called 'change.'
- Nearing the end of a a project or an era, it's so natural to try to form some kind of coherent narrative out of the process of creation. Since I'm graduating in May, I'm experiencing that on many levels right now. It feels like trying to assign a cinematic plot line to my own life.
- Elizabeth Gilbert: "You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestation of your own blessings."
Photos found on Tumblr.